Lamisil (generic name: terbinafine) is an antifungal used to treat fungal infections that affect the fingernails or toenails. Lamisil contains antifungal compound terbinafine hydrochloride. It is prescribed for the treatment fungal infections caused by dermatophytes such as onychomycosis, scalp ringworm, ringworm of the skin, skin infections caused by yeasts, onychomycosis of the fingernail or toenail due to dermatophytes (tinea unguium) and is available as tablets, cream, spray and oinment.
Fungus infections often get worse and sometimes spread to other fingernails and it is very important to start the treatment ASAP.
That is why it should be applied for a long period of time (6 weeks for fingernail fungus and 12 weeks for toenail fungus).
Lamisil does not cure immediately.
Lamisil tablets are extremely effective oral treatment (for more detailed information look here) of fingernail and toenail fungus. It is among couple of fungus treatments that work at all. Pharmacists observe a lot of people that get perfect results with Lamisil in contrary other products that offer only big promises but never work.
The only unpleasant thing is the price. Brand name Lamisil tablets are not cheap (about $14.00 per pill), Lamisil cream is also expensive. That is why the majority of consumers buy generic alternatives that work not worse. However, due to its powerful action it worth every penny.
Like any other drug Lamisil has some side effects. This refers only to Lamisil tablets, because cream oinment and spray do not have any side effects. Here is the full lst of side effects:
- feeling of fullness, loss of appetite, indigestion, nausea, abdominal pain of low volume, diarrhea, mild skin reactions (rash, urticaria), pain in the joints or muscles.
- Common: headache. Uncommon: taste disturbance, ageusia, decreased appetite.
- disorders of liver function and bile ducts (bile retention).
- dizziness, sensory disturbances (paresthesia, hypoesthesia), haematological disorders (neutropenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia), severe liver failure, severe skin reactions (Eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, acute generalized pustular rash), exacerbation of psoriasis, alopecia, fatigue.
- Swelling of the face and tongue